What is WHFunk?
WHFunk is the WLAN of the student dormitorys administrated by WH-Netz. It enables free wireless network access for
- Residents of the student dormitorys administrated by WH-Netz
- Students and employees of the University of Stuttgart
- Students of the DHBW (Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg)
wherever a WHFunk Access Point is available. For residents of the student dormitorys administrated by WH-Netz it is also possible to borrow an Access Point from WH-Netz (picture below) by paying a deposit (50 EUR), to improve the local WLAN coverage. There are no additional charges.
How can I use WHFunk?
The WLAN can be used only with various VPN-services. The following configurations are possible:
- Students of the DHBW (Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg) can use the VPN-Server of the DHBW.
Why are the Access Points open/unencrypted? Is this safe?!
Because encryption is achieved through the use of VPN-tunnels. A full network access is possible only with an established VPN-tunnel. Without an established VPN-tunnel only this page and special areas on our servers can be accessed.
Where is WHFunk available?
I shouldn't see this page anymore?!
- Have you established a VPN-connection?
- Have you emptied your browsers cache?
Hostel wide WLAN consisting of Linksys WRT54g APs with a custom firmware based on OpenWRT and central OpenVPN
- Number of Access Points: 36
- IEEE: 802.11g
- SSID: whfunk-xxx
- Channel: 1
- Encryption: VPN
-- Main.christianr- 19.04.2010